Volume 20, Number 8—August 2014
CME ACTIVITY - Synopsis
Leptospirosis-Associated Hospitalizations, United States, 1998–2009
|Procedure†||ICD-9-CM code||No. (SE) discharge records||% (SE) discharge records|
|Spinal tap||03.31||408 (46)||20.5 (2.1)|
|Venous catheterization, not elsewhere classified||38.93||203 (32)||10.2 (1.4)|
|Hemodialysis||39.95||147 (27)||7.4 (1.3)|
|Transfusion of packed cells||99.04||124 (26)||6.2 (1.3)|
|Venous catheterization for renal dialysis||38.95||107 (23)||5.4 (1.2)|
*ICD-9-CM, International Classification of Diseases, 9th revision, Clinical Modification (17).
†Discharge records may contain >1 listed procedure.
- World Health Organization. Leptospirosis: an emerging public health problem. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2011;86:45–50 .
- Guerra MA. Leptospirosis. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2009;234:472–8, 430.
- Levett PN. Leptospirosis. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2001;14:296–326.
- Katz AR, Ansdell VE, Effler PV, Middleton CR, Sasaki DM. Leptospirosis in Hawaii, 1974–1998: epidemiologic analysis of 353 laboratory-confirmed cases. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2002;66:61–70 .
- Hartskeerl RA, Collares-Pereira M, Ellis WA. Emergence, control and re-emerging leptospirosis: dynamics of infection in the changing world. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011;17:494–501.
- Bruce MG, Sanders EJ, Leake JA, Zaidel O, Bragg SL, Aye T, Leptospirosis among patients presenting with dengue-like illness in Puerto Rico. Acta Trop. 2005;96:36–46.
- Vinetz JM, Glass GE, Flexner CE, Mueller P, Kaslow DC. Sporadic urban leptospirosis. Ann Intern Med. 1996;125:794–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Update: leptospirosis and unexplained acute febrile illness among athletes participating in triathlons—Illinois and Wisconsin, 1998. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1998;47:673–6 .
- Stern EJ, Galloway R, Shadomy SV, Wannemuehler K, Atrubin D, Blackmore C, Outbreak of leptospirosis among Adventure Race participants in Florida, 2005. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:843–9.
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists. Public health reporting and national notification for leptospirosis. 2012 [cited 2012 Dec 12]. http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.cste.org/resource/resmgr/PS/12-ID-02FINAL.pdf
- Meites E, Jay MT, Deresinski S, Shieh WJ, Zaki SR, Tompkins L, Reemerging leptospirosis, California. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:406–12.
- Katz AR, Buchholz AE, Hinson K, Park SY, Effler PV. Leptospirosis in Hawaii, USA, 1999–2008. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:221–6.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Notes from the field: investigation of leptospirosis underreporting—Puerto Rico, 2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012;61:421 .
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). Databases; last modified February 2013 [cited 2013 Mar 2]. www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/databases.jsp
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). NIS database documentation; last modified February 2013 [cited 2013 Mar 2]. www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/nation/nis/nisdbdocumentation.jsp
- Houchens R, Elixhauser A. US Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Final report on calculating nationwide inpatient sample (NIS) variances, 2001. HCUP methods series report #2003–2. June 2005 (revised 2005 June 6) [cited 2011 Dec 13]. http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/methods/CalculatingNISVariances200106092005.pdf
- Public Health Service and Health Care Financing Administration. International classification of diseases, 9th revision, clinical modification, 6th ed. (CD-ROM). Washington (DC): US Department of Health and Human Services; 2005.
- National Center for Health Statistics. Bridged-race intercensal estimates of the July 1, 1990–July 1, 1999, United States resident population by county, single-year of age, sex, race, and Hispanic origin. July 26, 2004 [cited 2011 Dec 13]. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/bridged_race/data_documentation.htm#july1999
- National Center for Health Statistics. Vintage 2009 bridged postcensal estimates of the resident population of the United States for July 1, 2000–July 1, 2009, by year, county, single-year of age (0 to 85+ years), bridged race, Hispanic origin, and sex. July 23, 2010 [cited 2011 Dec 13]. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/bridged_race/data_documentation.htm#vintage2009
- US Census Bureau. Census regions and divisions of the United States [cited 2012 Nov 20]. https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/maps/pdfs/reference/us_regdiv.pdf
- Christensen KL, Holman RC, Steiner CA, Sejvar JJ, Stoll BJ, Schonberger LB. Infectious disease hospitalizations in the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:1025–35.
- DeFrances CJ, Cullen KA, Kozak LJ. National hospital discharge survey: 2005 annual summary with detailed diagnosis and procedure data. Vital Health Stat 13. 2007;165:1–209 .
- Levy PS, Lemeshow S. Sampling of populations—methods and applications. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.; 1991.
- Lehmann E. Nonparametrics: statistical methods based on ranks. New York: Wiley; 1975.
- Jansen A, Stark K, Schneider T, Schoneberg I. Sex differences in clinical leptospirosis in Germany: 1997–2005. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44:e69–72.
- Sasaki DM, Pang L, Minette HP, Wakida CK, Fujimoto WJ, Manea SJ, Active surveillance and risk factors for leptospirosis in Hawaii. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1993;48:35–43 .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Summary of notifiable diseases, United States, 1994. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1994;43:1–80 .
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Household data annual averages 2010 April 1, 2011 [cited 2011 Aug 30]. Employed persons by detailed industry, sex, race, and Hispanic or Latino ethnicity. http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat18.pdf
- Agampodi SB, Matthias MA, Moreno AC, Vinetz JM. Utility of quantitative polymerase chain reaction in leptospirosis diagnosis: association of level of leptospiremia and clinical manifestations in Sri Lanka. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:1249–55.
- Herrmann-Storck C, Saint-Louis M, Foucand T, Lamaury I, Deloumeaux J, Baranton G, Severe leptospirosis in hospitalized patients, Guadeloupe. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:331–4.
- Daher EF, Lima RS, Silva Junior GB, Silva EC, Karbage NN, Kataoka RS, Clinical presentation of leptospirosis: a retrospective study of 201 patients in a metropolitan city of Brazil. Braz J Infect Dis. 2010;14:3–10.
- Spichler A, Athanazio D, Seguro AC, Vinetz JM. Outpatient follow-up of patients hospitalized for acute leptospirosis. Int J Infect Dis. 2011;15:e486–90.
- Katz AR, Ansdell VE, Effler PV, Middleton CR, Sasaki DM. Assessment of the clinical presentation and treatment of 353 cases of laboratory-confirmed leptospirosis in Hawaii, 1974–1998. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;33:1834–41.
- Vanasco NB, Schmeling MF, Lottersberger J, Costa F, Ko AI, Tarabla HD. Clinical characteristics and risk factors of human leptospirosis in Argentina (1999–2005). Acta Trop. 2008;107:255–8.
- Paganin F, Bourdin A, Dalban C, Courtin JP, Poubeau P, Borgherini G, Leptospirosis in Reunion Island (Indian Ocean): analysis of factors associated with severity in 147 confirmed cases. Intensive Care Med. 2007;33:1959–66.
- Galloway RL, Levett PN, Tumeh JW, Flowers CR. Assessing cost effectiveness of empirical and prophylactic therapy for managing leptospirosis outbreaks. Epidemiol Infect. 2009;137:1323–32.
- Lau CL, Dobson AJ, Smythe LD, Fearnley EJ, Skelly C, Clements AC, Leptospirosis in American Samoa 2010: epidemiology, environmental drivers, and the management of emergence. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2012;86:309–19.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: July 17, 2014
Page updated: July 17, 2014
Page reviewed: July 17, 2014
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.