Volume 21, Number 9—September 2015
Emerging Infections Program
Emerging Infections Program
Improving Accuracy of Influenza-Associated Hospitalization Rate Estimates
|Diagnostic test/patient age group, y||Range from literature review, %||References||Bootstrap estimate (95% CI)|
*DFA, direct fluorescent antibody; FluSurv-NET, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Influenza Hospital Surveillance Network; RIDT, rapid influenza diagnostic test; RT-PCR, reverse transcription PCR.
- Dao CN, Kamimoto L, Nowell M, Reingold A, Gershman K, Meek J, Adult hospitalizations for laboratory-positive influenza during the 2005–2006 through 2007–2008 seasons in the United States. J Infect Dis. 2010;202:881–8.
- Dawood FS, Fiore A, Kamimoto L, Bramley A, Reingold A, Gershman K, Burden of seasonal influenza hospitalization in children, United States, 2003 to 2008. J Pediatr. 2010;157:808–14.
- Chaves SS, Aragon D, Bennett N, Cooper T, D'Mello T, Farley M, Patients hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza during the 2010–2011 influenza season: exploring disease severity by virus type and subtype. J Infect Dis. 2013;208:1305–14.
- Takahashi H, Otsuka Y, Patterson BK. Diagnostic tests for influenza and other respiratory viruses: determining performance specifications based on clinical setting. J Infect Chemother. 2010;16:155–61.
- Jernigan DB, Lindstrom SL, Johnson JR, Miller JD, Hoelscher M, Humes R, Detecting 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus infection: availability of diagnostic testing led to rapid pandemic response. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52(Suppl 1):S36–43.
- Uyeki TM, Prasad R, Vukotich C, Stebbins S, Rinaldo CR, Ferng YH, Low sensitivity of rapid diagnostic test for influenza. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:e89–92.
- Chartrand C, Leeflang MM, Minion J, Brewer T, Pai M. Accuracy of rapid influenza diagnostic tests: a meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2012;156:500–11.
- Talbot HK, Williams JV, Zhu Y, Poehling KA, Griffin MR, Edwards KM. Failure of routine diagnostic methods to detect influenza in hospitalized older adults. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010;31:683–8.
- Peterson S, Dugas AF, Rothman RE. Evaluation of 11 commercially available rapid influenza diagnostic tests-United States, 2011–2012. Ann Emerg Med. 2013;61:573–7.
- Mahony JB. Nucleic acid amplification-based diagnosis of respiratory virus infections. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2010;8:1273–92.
- Kumar S, Henrickson KJ. Update on influenza diagnostics: lessons from the novel H1N1 influenza A pandemic. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2012;25:344–61.
- Cox CM, D'Mello T, Perez A, Reingold A, Gershman K, Yousey-Hindes K, Increase in rates of hospitalization due to laboratory-confirmed influenza among children and adults during the 2009–10 influenza pandemic. J Infect Dis. 2012;206:1350–8.
- Zhou H, Thompson WW, Viboud CG, Ringholz CM, Cheng PY, Steiner C, Hospitalizations associated with influenza and respiratory syncytial virus in the United States, 1993–2008. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:1427–36.
- Pinner RW, Rebmann CA, Schuchat A, Hughes JM. Disease surveillance and the academic, clinical, and public health communities. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003;9:781–7.
- Dawood FS, Fiore A, Kamimoto L, Nowell M, Reingold A, Gershman K, Influenza-associated pneumonia in children hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza, 2003–2008. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2010;29:585–90.
- Barker WH, Menegus MA, Hall CB, Betts RF, Freundlich CB, Long CE, Communitywide laboratory-based influenza surveillance focused on older persons, 1989–1992. Am J Prev Med. 1995;11:149–55 .
- Steininger C, Redlberger M, Graninger W, Kundi M, Popow-Kraupp T. Near-patient assays for diagnosis of influenza virus infection in adult patients. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2009;15:267–73.
- Long CE, Hall CB, Cunningham CK, Weiner LB, Alger KP, Gouveia M, Influenza surveillance in community-dwelling elderly compared with children. Arch Fam Med. 1997;6:459–65.
- Steininger C, Kundi M, Aberle SW, Aberle JH, Popow-Kraupp T. Effectiveness of reverse transcription–PCR, virus isolation, and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for diagnosis of influenza A virus infection in different age groups. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:2051–6.
- Bradley Efron RJT. An introduction to the bootstrap. London: Chapman and Hall; 1993.
- Novak-Weekley SM, Marlowe EM, Poulter M, Dwyer D, Speers D, Rawlinson W, Evaluation of the Cepheid Xpert Flu Assay for rapid identification and differentiation of influenza A, influenza A 2009 H1N1, and influenza B viruses. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:1704–10.
- Van Wesenbeeck L, Meeuws H, Van Immerseel A, Ispas G, Schmidt K, Houspie L, Comparison of the FilmArray RP, Verigene RV+, and Prodesse ProFLU+/FAST+ multiplex platforms for detection of influenza viruses in clinical samples from the 2011–2012 influenza season in Belgium. J Clin Microbiol. 2013;51:2977–85.
- Templeton KE, Scheltinga SA, Beersma MF, Kroes AC, Claas EC. Rapid and sensitive method using multiplex real-time PCR for diagnosis of infections by influenza A and influenza B viruses, respiratory syncytial virus, and parainfluenza viruses 1, 2, 3, and 4. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:1564–9.
- Gharabaghi F, Tellier R, Cheung R, Collins C, Broukhanski G, Drews SJ, Comparison of a commercial qualitative real-time RT-PCR kit with direct immunofluorescence assay (DFA) and cell culture for detection of influenza A and B in children. J Clin Virol. 2008;42:190–3.
- Walsh EE, Cox C, Falsey AR. Clinical features of influenza A virus infection in older hospitalized persons. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002;50:1498–503.
- LaSala PR, Bufton KK, Ismail N, Smith MB. Prospective comparison of R-mix™ shell vial system with direct antigen tests and conventional cell culture for respiratory virus detection. J Clin Virol. 2007;38:210–6.
- Irmen KE, Kelleher JJ. Use of monoclonal antibodies for rapid diagnosis of respiratory viruses in a community hospital. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2000;7:396–403 .
- Rahman M, Kieke BA, Vandermause MF, Mitchell PD, Greenlee RT, Belongia EA. Performance of Directigen flu A+B enzyme immunoassay and direct fluorescent assay for detection of influenza infection during the 2004–2005 season. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2007;58:413–8.
- Uyeki TM. Influenza diagnosis and treatment in children: a review of studies on clinically useful tests and antiviral treatment for influenza. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2003;22:164–77.
- Stout C, Murphy MD, Lawrence S, Julian S. Evaluation of a monoclonal antibody pool for rapid diagnosis of respiratory viral infections. J Clin Microbiol. 1989;27:448–52 .
- Fader RC. Comparison of the Binax NOW Flu A enzyme immunochromatographic assay and R-Mix shell vial culture for the 2003–2004 influenza seasons. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:6133–5.
- Nelson EA, Ip M, Tam JS, Mounts AW, Chau SL, Law SK, Burden of influenza infection in hospitalised children below 6 months of age and above in Hong Kong from 2005 to 2011. Vaccine. 2014;32:6692–8.
- Ortiz JR, Neuzil KM, Shay DK, Rue TC, Neradilek MB, Zhou H, The burden of influenza-associated critical illness hospitalizations. Crit Care Med. 2014;42:2325–32.
- Poehling KA, Edwards KM, Griffin MR, Szilagyi PG, Staat MA, Iwane MK, The burden of influenza in young children, 2004–2009. Pediatrics. 2013;131:207–16.
- Williamson DA, Huang QS, Roberts SA, Grant CC, McArthur C, Baker MG. Surveillance for influenza using hospital discharge data may underestimate the burden of influenza-related hospitalization. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012;33:1064–6.
- Widmer K, Zhu Y, Williams JV, Griffin MR, Edwards KM, Talbot HK. Rates of hospitalizations for respiratory syncytial virus, human metapneumovirus, and influenza virus in older adults. J Infect Dis. 2012;206:56–62.
- Burton C, Vaudry W, Moore D, Bettinger JA, Tran D, Halperin SA, Burden of seasonal influenza in children with neurodevelopmental conditions. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2014;33:710–4.
- Emukule GO, Khagayi S, McMorrow ML, Ochola R, Otieno N, Widdowson MA, The burden of influenza and RSV among inpatients and outpatients in rural western Kenya, 2009–2012. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e105543.
- Reed C, Chaves SS, Daily Kirley P, Emerson R, Aragon D, Hancock EB, Estimating influenza disease burden from population-based surveillance data in the United States. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0118369.
Page created: August 12, 2015
Page updated: August 12, 2015
Page reviewed: August 12, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.