Volume 26, Number 6—June 2020
Pharmacologic Treatments and Supportive Care for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome
|Reference||Location (no. centers)||Study period||No. patients||Intervention group||Comparator group||Primary outcome|
|Nonrandomized, single-arm intervention study with historical comparisons|
|(12)||Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (1)||April–June 2014||32||IFN-β1a (May–Jun); 11 patients||IFN-α2a (Apr); 13 patients||Mortality rate (unspecified)|
|(13)||Saudi Arabia (5)||Sept 2012–Dec 2015||35||ECMO; 17 patients||No ECMO 18 patients||90-d mortality rate|
|(14)||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1)||Oct 2012–May 2014||70 (44 included)||RBV/IFN-α2a; 20 patients||Supportive care 24 patients||14-d and 28-d mortality rate|
|Prospective cohort study|
|(15)||Seoul, South Korea (3)||May–July 2015||30||NA||NA||NA|
||Jedda, Saudi Arabia (1)
|Retrospective cohort study|
|(17)||Saudi Arabia (14)||Sept 2012–Oct 2015||309||Steroids; 151 patients||No steroids 157 patients||90-d all-cause mortality rate|
|(18)||Saudi Arabia (14)||Sept 2012–Oct 2015||330 MERS||MERS||Non-MERS SARI||90-d mortality rate|
|(19)||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1)||Oct 2012–May 2014||70 (31 included)||NA||NA||NA|
|(20)||Al-Madinah City, Saudi Arabia (2)||Mar–May 2014||29||NA||NA||NA|
|(21)||Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (1)||April–May 2014||14||NA||NA||Survival at 1 y|
|(22)||Jedda, Saudi Arabia (1)||Jan–Dec 2014||51||NA||NA||NA|
|(23)||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1)||April 2014–Mar 2018||314||NA||NA||Mortality rate (unspecified)|
|(24)||Saudi Arabia (14)||Sept 2012–Jan 2018||349||Macrolides||No macrolides||90-d mortality rate|
|(25)||Saudi Arabia (14)||Sept 2012–Oct 2015||302||NIV||Invasive ventilation||90-d mortality rate|
|(26)||Saudi Arabia (14)
||Sept 2012–Jan 2018
||90-d mortality rate
|Case series without evaluation of treatments|
|(27)||Al-Hasa, Saudi Arabia (1)||April–May 2013||5||NA||NA||NA|
|(28)||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1)||Dec 2012–Aug 2013||11||NA||NA||NA|
|(29)||Al-Hasa, Saudi Arabia (1)||April 2012–Nov 2016||107||NA||NA||NA|
|(30)||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1)||Before Oct 2014||6||NA||NA||NA|
|(31)||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1)||July–Oct 2015||63 (8 included)||NA||NA||NA|
*ECMO, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation; IFN, interferon; MERS, Middle East respiratory syndrome; NA, not applicable; NIV, noninvasive ventilation; NS, nonsurvivors; RBV, ribavirin; SARI, severe acute respiratory infection.
- ProMED-mail. Novel coronavirus—Saudi Arabia: human isolate. 2012 [cited 2018 Oct 29]. http://www.promedmail.org/direct.php?id=20120920.1302733
- World Health Organization. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV). 2018 [cited 2019 Oct 10]. http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/middle-east-respiratory-syndrome-coronavirus-(mers-cov)
- World Health Organization. Epidemic and pandemic prone diseases—MERS situation update. 2018 [cited 2019 Oct 10]. http://www.emro.who.int/pandemic-epidemic-diseases/mers-cov/mers-situation-update-september-2018.html
- Zaki AM, van Boheemen S, Bestebroer TM, Osterhaus AD, Fouchier RA. Isolation of a novel coronavirus from a man with pneumonia in Saudi Arabia. N Engl J Med. 2012;367:1814–20.
- Assiri A, Al-Tawfiq JA, Al-Rabeeah AA, Al-Rabiah FA, Al-Hajjar S, Al-Barrak A, et al. Epidemiological, demographic, and clinical characteristics of 47 cases of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus disease from Saudi Arabia: a descriptive study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2013;13:752–61.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Fact sheet about Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). 2018 [cited 2018 Aug 1]. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/mers/downloads/factsheet-mers_en.pdf
- Falzarano D, de Wit E, Martellaro C, Callison J, Munster VJ, Feldmann H. Inhibition of novel β coronavirus replication by a combination of interferon-α2b and ribavirin. Sci Rep. 2013;3:1686.
- Falzarano D, de Wit E, Rasmussen AL, Feldmann F, Okumura A, Scott DP, et al. Treatment with interferon-α2b and ribavirin improves outcome in MERS-CoV-infected rhesus macaques. Nat Med. 2013;19:1313–7.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG; PRISMA Group. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. Int J Surg. 2010;8:336–41.
- Sterne JA, Hernán MA, Reeves BC, Savović J, Berkman ND, Viswanathan M, et al. ROBINS-I: a tool for assessing risk of bias in non-randomised studies of interventions. BMJ. 2016;355:i4919.
- Guyatt GH, Oxman AD, Vist GE, Kunz R, Falck-Ytter Y, Alonso-Coello P, et al.; GRADE Working Group. GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ. 2008;336:924–6.
- Shalhoub S, Farahat F, Al-Jiffri A, Simhairi R, Shamma O, Siddiqi N, et al. IFN-α2a or IFN-β1a in combination with ribavirin to treat Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus pneumonia: a retrospective study. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015;70:2129–32.
- Alshahrani MS, Sindi A, Alshamsi F, Al-Omari A, El Tahan M, Alahmadi B, et al. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for severe Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus. Ann Intensive Care. 2018;8:3.
- Omrani AS, Saad MM, Baig K, Bahloul A, Abdul-Matin M, Alaidaroos AY, et al. Ribavirin and interferon alfa-2a for severe Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus infection: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:1090–5.
- Hong KH, Choi JP, Hong SH, Lee J, Kwon JS, Kim SM, et al. Predictors of mortality in Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). Thorax. 2018;73:286–9.
- Al-Hameed F, Wahla AS, Siddiqui S, Ghabashi A, Al-Shomrani M, Al-Thaqafi A, et al. Characteristics and outcomes of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus patients admitted to an intensive care unit in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. J Intensive Care Med. 2016;31:344–8.
- Arabi YM, Mandourah Y, Al-Hameed F, Sindi AA, Almekhlafi GA, Hussein MA, et al.; Saudi Critical Care Trial Group. Corticosteroid therapy for critically ill patients with Middle East respiratory syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2018;197:757–67.
- Arabi YM, Al-Omari A, Mandourah Y, Al-Hameed F, Sindi AA, Alraddadi B, et al.; Saudi Critical Care Trial Group. Critically ill patients with the Middle East respiratory syndrome: a multicenter retrospective cohort study. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:1683–95.
- Almekhlafi GA, Albarrak MM, Mandourah Y, Hassan S, Alwan A, Abudayah A, et al. Presentation and outcome of Middle East respiratory syndrome in Saudi intensive care unit patients. Crit Care. 2016;20:123.
- Sherbini N, Iskandrani A, Kharaba A, Khalid G, Abduljawad M, Al-Jahdali H. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus in Al-Madinah City, Saudi Arabia: Demographic, clinical and survival data. J Epidemiol Glob Health. 2017;7:29–36.
- Khalid I, Alraddadi BM, Dairi Y, Khalid TJ, Kadri M, Alshukairi AN, et al. Acute management and long-term survival among subjects with Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus pneumonia and ARDS. Respir Care. 2016;61:340–8.
- Al Ghamdi M, Alghamdi KM, Ghandoora Y, Alzahrani A, Salah F, Alsulami A, et al. Treatment outcomes for patients with Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS CoV) infection at a coronavirus referral center in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. BMC Infect Dis. 2016;16:174.
- Alfaraj SH, Al-Tawfiq JA, Assiri AY, Alzahrani NA, Alanazi AA, Memish ZA. Clinical predictors of mortality of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection: A cohort study. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2019;29:48–50.
- Arabi YM, Deeb AM, Al-Hameed F, Mandourah Y, Almekhlafi GA, Sindi AA, et al.; Saudi Critical Care Trials group. Macrolides in critically ill patients with Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. Int J Infect Dis. 2019;81:184–90.
- Alraddadi BM, Qushmaq I, Al-Hameed FM, Mandourah Y, Almekhlafi GA, Jose J, et al.; Saudi Critical Care Trials Group. Noninvasive ventilation in critically ill patients with the Middle East respiratory syndrome. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2019;13:382–90.
- Arabi YM, Shalhoub S, Mandourah Y, Al-Hameed F, Al-Omari A, Al Qasim E, et al. Ribavirin and interferon therapy for critically ill patients with Middle East respiratory syndrome: a multicenter observational study. Clin Infect Dis. 2019;•••:
- Al-Tawfiq JA, Momattin H, Dib J, Memish ZA. Ribavirin and interferon therapy in patients infected with the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus: an observational study. Int J Infect Dis. 2014;20:42–6.
- Arabi YM, Arifi AA, Balkhy HH, Najm H, Aldawood AS, Ghabashi A, et al. Clinical course and outcomes of critically ill patients with Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus infection. Ann Intern Med. 2014;160:389–97.
- Alhumaid S, Tobaiqy M, Albagshi M, Alrubaya A, Algharib F, Aldera A, et al. MERS-CoV transmitted from animal-to-human vs MERS-CoV transmitted from human-to-human: comparison of virulence and therapeutic outcomes in a Saudi hospital. Trop J Pharm Res. 2018;17:1155–64.
- Khalid M, Khan B, Al Rabiah F, Alismaili R, Saleemi S, Rehan-Khaliq AM, et al. Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome Corona Virus (MERS CoV): case reports from a tertiary care hospital in Saudi Arabia. Ann Saudi Med. 2014;34:396–400.
- Al-Dorzi HM, Aldawood AS, Khan R, Baharoon S, Alchin JD, Matroud AA, et al. The critical care response to a hospital outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection: an observational study. Ann Intensive Care. 2016;6:101–12.
- World Health Organization. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) maps and epicurves Oct 2015. 2015 [cited 2019 Jul 25]. https://www.who.int/csr/disease/coronavirus_infections/maps-epicurves-19-october-2015
- Amsden GW. Anti-inflammatory effects of macrolides—an underappreciated benefit in the treatment of community-acquired respiratory tract infections and chronic inflammatory pulmonary conditions? J Antimicrob Chemother. 2005;55:10–21.
- Morra ME, Van Thanh L, Kamel MG, Ghazy AA, Altibi AMA, Dat LM, et al. Clinical outcomes of current medical approaches for Middle East respiratory syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Rev Med Virol. 2018;28:
- Momattin H, Al-Ali AY, Al-Tawfiq JA. A systematic review of therapeutic agents for the treatment of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV). Travel Med Infect Dis. 2019;30:9–18.
- Beigel JH, Voell J, Kumar P, Raviprakash K, Wu H, Jiao JA, et al. A randomized placebo-controlled phase 1 safety and tolerability study of a novel human anti-MERS coronavirus polyclonal intravenous immunoglobulin produced from transchromosomic cattle. Lancet Infect Dis. 2018;18:410–8.
- Modjarrad K, Roberts CC, Mills KT, Castellano AR, Paolino K, Muthumani K, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of an anti-Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus DNA vaccine: a phase 1, open-label, single-arm, dose-escalation trial. Lancet Infect Dis. 2019;19:1013–22.
- Xu J, Jia W, Wang P, Zhang S, Shi X, Wang X, et al. Antibodies and vaccines against Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus. Emerg Microbes Infect. 2019;8:841–56.
- Han HJ, Liu JW, Yu H, Yu XJ. Neutralizing monoclonal antibodies as promising therapeutics against Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus infection. Viruses. 2018;10:680–90.
- Wuhan Municipal Health Commission. Report of clustering pneumonia of unknown etiology in Wuhan City. 2019 [cited 2020 Feb 15]. http://wjw.wuhan.gov.cn/front/web/showDetail/2019123108989
- Aguanno R, Elldrissi A, Elkholy AA, Embarek PB, Gardner E, Grant R, et al.; FAO-OIE-WHO MERS Technical Working Group. MERS: Progress on the global response, remaining challenges and the way forward. Antiviral Res. 2018;159:35–44.
- World Health Organization. WHO consultation on MERS-CoV therapeutics and vaccine evaluation. 2018 [cited 2020 Mar 14]. https://www.who.int/blueprint/what/norms-standards/meeting-report-30-november-2018.pdf
Page created: May 18, 2020
Page updated: May 18, 2020
Page reviewed: May 18, 2020
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.