Volume 27, Number 8—August 2021
Transmission Dynamics of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 in High-Density Settings, Minnesota, USA, March–June 2020
- Arons MM, Hatfield KM, Reddy SC, Kimball A, James A, Jacobs JR, et al.; Public Health–Seattle and King County and CDC COVID-19 Investigation Team. Presymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections and transmission in a skilled nursing facility. N Engl J Med. 2020;382:2081–90.
- Kimball A, Hatfield KM, Arons M, James A, Taylor J, Spicer K, et al.; Public Health – Seattle & King County; CDC COVID-19 Investigation Team. Public Health–Seattle and King County and CDC COVID-19 Investigation Team. Asymptomatic and presymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections in residents of a long-term care skilled nursing facility—King County, Washington, March 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:377–81.
- Taylor J, Carter RJ, Lehnertz N, Kazazian L, Sullivan M, Wang X, et al.; Minnesota Long-Term Care COVID-19 Response Group. Serial testing for SARS-CoV-2 and virus whole genome sequencing inform infection risk at two skilled nursing facilities with COVID-19 outbreaks—Minnesota, April–June 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:1288–95.
- Dora AV, Winnett A, Jatt LP, Davar K, Watanabe M, Sohn L, et al. Universal and serial laboratory testing for SARS-CoV-2 at a long-term care skilled nursing facility for veterans–Los Angeles, California, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:651–5.
- Ladhani SN, Chow JY, Janarthanan R, Fok J, Crawley-Boevey E, Vusirikala A, et al.; London Care Home Investigation Team. Increased risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection in staff working across different care homes: enhanced CoVID-19 outbreak investigations in London care Homes. J Infect. 2020;81:621–4.
- Wallace M, Hagan L, Curran KG, Williams SP, Handanagic S, Bjork A, et al. COVID-19 in correctional and detention facilities—United States, February–April 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:587–90.
- Montoya-Barthelemy AG, Lee CD, Cundiff DR, Smith EB. COVID-19 and the correctional environment: the American prison as a focal point for public health. Am J Prev Med. 2020;58:888–91.
- Watson C, Warmbrod L, Vahey R, Cicero A, Inglesby T, Beyrer C, et al. COVID-19 and the US criminal justice system: evidence for public health measures to reduce risk. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security; 2020.
- Waltenburg MA, Victoroff T, Rose CE, Butterfield M, Jervis RH, Fedak KM, et al.; COVID-19 Response Team. Update: COVID-19 among workers in meat and poultry processing facilities—United States, April–May 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:887–92.
- Steinberg J, Kennedy ED, Basler C, Grant MP, Jacobs JR, Ortbahn D, et al. COVID-19 outbreak among employees at a meat-processing facility—South Dakota, March–April 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:1015–9.
- Waltenburg MA, Rose CE, Victoroff T, Butterfield M, Dillaha JA, Heinzerling A, et al.; CDC COVID-; Emergency Response Team. Coronavirus disease among workers in food processing, food manufacturing, and agriculture workplaces. Emerg Infect Dis. 2021;27:243–9.
- Thielen BK, Bye E, Wang X, Maroushek S, Friedlander H, Bistodeau S, et al. Summer outbreak of severe RSV-B disease, Minnesota, 2017 associated with emergence of a genetically distinct viral lineage. J Infect Dis. 2020;222:288–97.
- Longmire AG, Sims S, Rytsareva I, Campo DS, Skums P, Dimitrova Z, et al. GHOST: global hepatitis outbreak and surveillance technology. BMC Genomics. 2017;18(Suppl 10):916.
- Quick J, Loman NJ, Duraffour S, Simpson JT, Severi E, Cowley L, et al. Real-time, portable genome sequencing for Ebola surveillance. Nature. 2016;530:228–32.
- Rounds JM, Taylor AJ, Eikmeier D, Nichols MM, Lappi V, Wirth SE, et al. Prospective Salmonella Enteritidis surveillance and outbreak detection using whole genome sequencing, Minnesota 2015-2017. Epidemiol Infect. 2020;148:
- To KK, Hung IF, Ip JD, Chu AW, Chan WM, Tam AR, et al. COVID-19 re-infection by a phylogenetically distinct SARS-coronavirus-2 strain confirmed by whole genome sequencing. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Aug 25 [Epub ahead of print].
- Larson D, Brodniak SL, Voegtly LJ, Cer RZ, Glang LA, Malagon FJ, et al. A case of early re-infection with SARS-CoV-2. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Sep 19 [Epub ahead of print].
- Van Elslande J, Vermeersch P, Vandervoort K, Wawina-Bokalanga T, Vanmechelen B, Wollants E, et al. Symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 reinfection by a phylogenetically distinct strain. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Sep 5[Epub ahead of print].
- Gupta V, Bhoyar RC, Jain A, Srivastava S, Upadhayay R, Imran M, et al. Asymptomatic reinfection in two healthcare workers from India with genetically distinct SARS-CoV-2. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Sep 23 [Epub ahead of print].
- Lucey M, Macori G, Mullane N, Sutton-Fitzpatrick U, Gonzalez G, Coughlan S, et al. Whole-genome sequencing to track SARS-CoV-2 transmission in nosocomial outbreaks. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Jun 1 [Epub ahead of print].
- Oude Munnink BB, Nieuwenhuijse DF, Stein M, O’Toole Á, Haverkate M, Mollers M, et al.; Dutch-Covid-19 response team. Rapid SARS-CoV-2 whole-genome sequencing and analysis for informed public health decision-making in the Netherlands. Nat Med. 2020;26:1405–10.
- Seemann T, Lane CR, Sherry NL, Duchene S, Gonçalves da Silva A, Caly L, et al. Tracking the COVID-19 pandemic in Australia using genomics. Nat Commun. 2020;11:4376.
- Rockett RJ, Arnott A, Lam C, Sadsad R, Timms V, Gray KA, et al. Revealing COVID-19 transmission in Australia by SARS-CoV-2 genome sequencing and agent-based modeling. Nat Med. 2020;26:1398–404.
- US Food and Drug Administration. CDC 2019-novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) real-time RT-PCR diagnostic panel [cited 2020 Dec 10]. https://www.fda.gov/media/134922/download
- Quick J. nCoV-2019 sequencing protocol V.1 [cited 2020 Dec 10].
- Sevinsky J, Nassiri A, Blankenship H, Young E, Libuit K, Oakeson K, et al. SARS-CoV-2 Sequencing on Illumina MiSeq using ARTIC protocol: part 2—Illumina DNA flex protocol V.1 [cited 2020 Dec 10].
- Hadfield J, Megill C, Bell SM, Huddleston J, Potter B, Callender C, et al. Nextstrain: real-time tracking of pathogen evolution. Bioinformatics. 2018;34:4121–3.
- Katoh K, Standley DM. MAFFT multiple sequence alignment software version 7: improvements in performance and usability. Mol Biol Evol. 2013;30:772–80.
- Nguyen LT, Schmidt HA, von Haeseler A, Minh BQ. IQ-TREE: a fast and effective stochastic algorithm for estimating maximum-likelihood phylogenies. Mol Biol Evol. 2015;32:268–74.
- Letunic I, Bork P. Interactive Tree Of Life (iTOL) v4: recent updates and new developments. Nucleic Acids Res. 2019;47(W1):W256–9.
- Elbe S, Buckland-Merrett G. Data, disease and diplomacy: GISAID’s innovative contribution to global health. Glob Chall. 2017;1:33–46.
- Gonzalez-Reiche AS, Hernandez MM, Sullivan MJ, Ciferri B, Alshammary H, Obla A, et al. Introductions and early spread of SARS-CoV-2 in the New York City area. Science. 2020;369:297–301.
- Grabowski DC, Mor V. Nursing home care in crisis in the wake of COVID-19. JAMA. 2020;324:23–4.
Page created: May 19, 2021
Page updated: July 18, 2021
Page reviewed: July 18, 2021
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.