Volume 17, Number 7—July 2011
CME ACTIVITY - Research
Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome, United States, 1993–2009
|Characteristic||No. patients reporting characteristic/no. patients for whom data were available for that characteristic (%)
|Fever||356/397 (90)||116/132 (88)||239/264 (91)||0.414|
|Thrombocytopenia‡||405/418 (97)||131/134 (98)||273/283 (96)||0.477|
|Increased hematocrit‡||261/389 (67)||103/130 (79)||157/258 (61)||<0.001|
|Increased creatinine level‡||120/286 (42)||54/93 (58)||66/193 (34)||<0.001|
|Increased leukocyte count‡||169/234 (72)||72/83 (87)||96/150 (64)||<0.001|
|Chest radiograph showing unexplained bilateral infiltrates or suggestive of ARDS||390/406 (96)||135/141 (96)||255/265 (96)||0.812|
|Need for supplemental oxygen||390/405 (96)||134/135 (99)||255/269 (95)||0.025|
|Intubation of patient||265/430 (62)||129/139 (93)||135/290 (47)||<0.001|
*HPS, hantavirus pulmonary syndrome; ARDS, acute respiratory distress syndrome.
†By χ2 test for difference in the proportion of HPS case-patients with a clinical characteristic who died and those who survived.
‡Based on qualitative data (yes or no) regarding clinical characteristic from case investigation form. For a small number of case-patients for whom qualitative data were incomplete, but for whom laboratory values were available, qualitative values were assigned on the basis of described clinical cutoff values (24).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Outbeak of acute illness—southwestern United States, 1993. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1993;42:421–4.
- Nichol ST, Spiropoulou CF, Morzunov S, Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, Feldmann H, Genetic identification of a hantavirus associated with an outbreak of acute respiratory illness. Science. 1993;262:914–7.
- Ksiazek TG, Peters CJ, Rollin PE, Zaki S, Nichol S, Spiropoulou C, Identification of a new North American hantavirus that causes acute pulmonary insufficiency. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1995;52:117–23.
- Childs JE, Ksiazek TG, Spiropoulou CF, Krebs JW, Morzunov S, Maupin GO, Serologic and genetic identification of Peromyscus maniculatus as the primary rodent reservoir for a new hantavirus in the southwestern United States. J Infect Dis. 1994;169:1271–80.
- Peters CJ, Khan AS. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome: the new American hemorrhagic fever. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34:1224–31.
- Monroe MC, Morzunov SP, Johnson AM, Bowen MD, Artsob H, Yates T, Genetic diversity and distribution of Peromyscus-borne hantaviruses in North America. Emerg Infect Dis. 1999;5:75–86.
- Song JW, Baek LJ, Gajdusek DC, Yanagihara R, Gavrilovskaya I, Luft BJ, Isolation of pathogenic hantavirus from white-footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus). Lancet. 1994;344:1637.
- Hjelle B, Lee SW, Song W, Torrez-Martinez N, Song JW, Yanagihara R, Molecular linkage of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome to the white-footed mouse, Peromyscus leucopus: genetic characterization of the M genome of New York virus. J Virol. 1995;69:8137–41.
- Rhodes LV III, Huang C, Sanchez AJ, Nichol ST, Zaki SR, Ksiazek TG, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome associated with Monongahela virus, Pennsylvania. Emerg Infect Dis. 2000;6:616–21.
- Morzunov SP, Feldmann H, Spiropoulou CF, Semenova VA, Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, A newly recognized virus associated with a fatal case of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Louisiana. J Virol. 1995;69:1980–3.
- Ksiazek TG, Nichol ST, Mills JN, Groves MG, Wozniak A, McAdams S, Isolation, genetic diversity, and geographic distribution of Bayou virus (Bunyaviridae: hantavirus). Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1997;57:445–8.
- Torrez-Martinez N, Bharadwaj M, Goade D, Delury J, Moran P, Hicks B, Bayou virus-associated hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in eastern Texas: identification of the rice rat, Oryzomys palustris, as reservoir host. Emerg Infect Dis. 1998;4:105–11.
- Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, Elliott LH, Ravkov EV, Martin ML, Morzunov S, Isolation of Black Creek Canal virus, a new hantavirus from Sigmodon hispidus in Florida. J Med Virol. 1995;46:35–9.
- Khan AS, Gaviria M, Rollin PE, Hlady WG, Ksiazek TG, Armstrong LR, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Florida: association with the newly identified Black Creek Canal virus. Am J Med. 1996;100:46–8.
- Vitek CR, Breiman RF, Ksiazek TG, Rollin PE, McLaughlin JC, Umland ET, Evidence against person-to-person transmission of hantavirus to health care workers. Clin Infect Dis. 1996;22:824–6.
- Wells RM, Young J, Williams RJ, Armstrong LR, Busico K, Khan AS, Hantavirus transmission in the United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 1997;3:361–5.
- Enría D, Padula P, Segura EL, Pini N, Edelstein A, Posse CR, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Argentina. Possibility of person to person transmission. Medicina (B Aires). 1996;56:709–11.
- Chaparro J, Vega J, Terry W, Vera JL, Barra B, Meyer R, Assessment of person-to-person transmission of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in a Chilean hospital setting. J Hosp Infect. 1998;40:281–5.
- Martinez VP, Bellomo C, San Juan J, Pinna D, Forlenza R, Elder M, Person-to-person transmission of Andes virus. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005;11:1848–53.
- Young JC, Hansen GR, Graves TK, Deasy MP, Humphreys JG, Fritz CL, The incubation period of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2000;62:714–7.
- Khan AS, Khabbaz RF, Armstrong LR, Holman RC, Bauer SP, Graber J, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome: the first 100 US cases. J Infect Dis. 1996;173:1297–303.
- Duchin JS, Koster FT, Peters CJ, Simpson GL, Tempest B, Zaki SR, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome: a clinical description of 17 patients with a newly recognized disease. The Hantavirus Study Group. N Engl J Med. 1994;330:949–55.
- Nolte KB, Feddersen RM, Foucar K, Zaki SR, Koster FT, Madar D, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in the United States: a pathological description of a disease caused by a new agent. Hum Pathol. 1995;26:110–20.
- Zaki SR, Greer PW, Coffield LM, Goldsmith CS, Nolte KB, Foucar K, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Pathogenesis of an emerging infectious disease. Am J Pathol. 1995;146:552–79.
- Hallin GW, Simpson SQ, Crowell RE, James DS, Koster FT, Mertz GJ, Cardiopulmonary manifestations of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Crit Care Med. 1996;24:252–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Case definitions for infectious conditions under public health surveillance. MMWR Recomm Rep. 1997;46:1–55.
- Zaki SR, Albers RC, Greer PW, Coffield LM, Armstrong LR, Khan AS, Retrospective diagnosis of a 1983 case of fatal hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Lancet. 1994;343:1037–8.
- Zaki SR, Khan AS, Goodman RA, Armstrong LR, Greer PW, Coffield LM, Retrospective diagnosis of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, 1978–1993: implications for emerging infectious diseases. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1996;120:134–9.
- Schwarcz SK, Shefer AM, Zaki SR. Retrospective diagnosis of a fatal case of the hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, 1980. West J Med. 1996;164:348–50.
- Frampton JW, Lanser S, Nichols CR. Sin Nombre virus infection in 1959. Lancet. 1995;346:781–2.
- Nerurkar VR, Song JW, Song KJ, Nagle JW, Hjelle B, Jenison S, Genetic evidence for a hantavirus enzootic in deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus) captured a decade before the recognition of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Virology. 1994;204:563–8.
- Nichol S. Genetic analysis of hantaviruses and their host relationships. In: Saluzzo J, Dodet B, editors. Factors in the emergence and control of rodent-borne viral diseases: San Francisco: Elsevier; 1999. p. 99–109.
- Mills JN, Amman BR, Glass GE. Ecology of hantaviruses and their hosts in North America. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2010;10:563–74.
- Ramos MM, Overturf GD, Crowley MR, Rosenberg RB, Hjelle B. Infection with Sin Nombre hantavirus: clinical presentation and outcome in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2001;108:E27.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in five pediatric patients—four states, 2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009;58:1409–12.
- Vapalahti K, Virtala AM, Vaheri A, Vapalahti O. Case–control study on Puumala virus infection: smoking is a risk factor. Epidemiol Infect. 2010;138:576–84.
- Koster F, Foucar K, Hjelle B, Scott A, Chong YY, Larson R, Rapid presumptive diagnosis of hantavirus cardiopulmonary syndrome by peripheral blood smear review. Am J Clin Pathol. 2001;116:665–72.
- Crowley MR, Katz RW, Kessler R, Simpson SQ, Levy H, Hallin GW, Successful treatment of adults with severe hantavirus pulmonary syndrome with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Crit Care Med. 1998;26:409–14.
- Dietl CA, Wernly JA, Pett SB, Yassin SF, Sterling JP, Dragan R, Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support improves survival of patients with severe hantavirus cardiopulmonary syndrome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008;135:579–84.
- Ketai LH, Williamson MR, Telepak RJ, Levy H, Koster FT, Nolte KB, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome: radiographic findings in 16 patients. Radiology. 1994;191:665–8.