Volume 5, Number 1—February 1999
Using Monoclonal Antibodies to Prevent Mucosal Transmission of Epidemic Infectious Diseases
|Herpes simplex 1 and 2||no||no||X|
|HIV-1 and 2||no||no||X|
|Human papilloma virus (HPV)||no||yesb|
aDrug-resistant strains reported.
bSurgical removal of HPV-infected tissue is performed.HPV-related cervical cancer identified early has a high cure rate; however, in the United States, for every three new cases, there is approximately one death (117).
- Kohler G, Milstein C. Continuous cultures of fused cells secreting antibody of predefined specificity. Nature. 1975;256:495–7.
- Casadevall A, Scharff M. Return to the past: the case for antibody-based therapies in infectious diseases. Clin Infect Dis. 1995;21:150–61.
- Casadevall A. Antibody-based therapies for emerging infectious diseases. Emerg Infect Dis. 1996;2:200–8.
- Cross A. Intravenous immunoglobulins to prevent and treat infectious diseases. In: Atassi MZ, GS Bixler GSJ, editors. Immunobiology of proteins and peptides VIII. New York: Plenum Press; 1995.
- Lederberg J, Shope R, Oaks S. Emerging Infections. Washington: National Academy Press; 1992.
- Mims C, Dimmock N, Nash A, Stephen J. Mims' pathogenesis of infectious disease. 4th ed. San Diego: Academic Press; 1995.
- Mo H, Stamatatos L, Ip JE, Barbas CF, Parren PWHI, Burton DR, Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 mutants that escape neutralization by human monoclonal antibody IgG1b12. J Virol. 1997;71:6869–74.
- Mandrell RE, Apicella MA. Lipo-oligosaccharides (LOS) of mucosal pathogens: molecular mimicry and host-modification of LOS. Immunobiology. 1993;187:382–402.
- Anderson D, Yunis E. "Trojan horse" leukocytes in AIDS. N Engl J Med. 1983;309:984–5.
- Ogra P. Mucosal immunoprophylaxis: an introductory overview. In: Kiyono H, Ogra P, McGhee J, editors. Mucosal vaccines. New York: Academic Press; 1996. p. 1-14.
- Cone RA, Whaley KJ. Monoclonal antibodies for reproductive health: Part I. Preventing sexual transmission of disease and pregnancy with topically applied antibodies. Am J Reprod Immunol. 1994;32:114–31.
- Saltzman WM. Antibodies for treating and preventing disease: the potential role of polymeric controlled release. Crit Rev Ther Drug Carrier Syst. 1993;10:111–42.
- Silverstein A. History of immunology. In: Paul W, editor. Fundamental immunology. 2nd ed. New York: Raven Press Ltd.; 1989.
- Dimmock N. Neutralization of animal viruses. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 1993;183:1–149.
- Igarashi A, Fukuoka T, Fukai K. Passive immunization of mice with rabbit antisera against Chikungunya virus and its components. Biken J. 1971;14:353–5.
- CytoGam package insert. Gaithersburg (MD): MedImmune Inc.
- Men RH, Bray M, Lai CJ. Carboxy-terminally truncated dengue virus envelope glycoproteins expressed on the cell surface and secreted extracellularly exhibit increased immunogenicity in mice. J Virol. 1991;65:1400–7.
- Mikhailov VV, Borisevich IV, Chernikova NK, Potryvaeva NV, Krasnianskii VP. The evaluation in hamadryas baboons of the possibility for the specific prevention of Ebola fever. Vopr Virusol. 1994;39:82–4.
- Arikawa J, Yao JS, Yoshimatsu K, Takashima I, Hashimoto N. Protective role of antigenic sites on the envelope protein of Hantaan virus defined by monoclonal antibodies. Arch Virol. 1992;126:271–81.
- Eis-Hübinger A, Schmidt D, Schneweis K. Anti-glycoprotein B monoclonal antibody protects mice against genital herpes simplex virus infection by inhibition of virus replication at the inoculated mucous membranes. J Gen Virol. 1993;74:379–85.
- Atherton SS. Protection from retinal necrosis by passive transfer of monoclonal antibody specific for herpes simplex virus glycoprotein D. Curr Eye Res. 1992;11:45–52.
- Safrit JT, Fung MS, Andrews CA, Braun DG, Sun WN, Chang TW, hu-PBL-SCID mice can be protected from HIV-1 infection by passive transfer of monoclonal antibody to the principal neutralizing determinant of envelope gp120. AIDS. 1993;7:15–21.
- Stapleton JT. Passive immunization against hepatitis A. Vaccine. 1992;10:S45–7.
- McGory RW, Ishitani MB, Oliveira WM, Stevenson WC, McCullough CS, Dickson RC, Improved outcome of orthotopic liver transplantation for chronic hepatitis B cirrhosis with aggressive passive immunization. Transplantation. 1996;61:1358–64.
- Okuno Y, Matsumoto K, Isegawa Y, Ueda S. Protection against the mouse-adapted A/FM/1/47 strain of influenza A virus in mice by a monoclonal antibody with cross-neutralizing activity among H1 and H2 strains. J Virol. 1994;68:517–20.
- Jahrling PB, Peters CJ. Passive antibody therapy of Lassa fever in cynomolgus monkeys: importance of neutralizing antibody and Lassa virus strain. Infect Immun. 1984;44:528–33.
- Giraudon P, Wild T. Correlation between epitopes on hemagglutinin of measles virus and biological activities: passive protection by monoclonal antibodies is related to their hemagglutination inhibiting activity. Virology. 1985;144:46–58.
- Chanock R, Crowe J, Murphy B, Burron D. Human monoclonal antibody Fab fragments cloned from combinatorial libraries: potential usefulness in prevention and/or treatment of major human viral diseases. Infect Agents Dis. 1993;2:118–31.
- Dietzschold B, Kao M, Zheng YM, Chen ZY, Maul G, Fu ZF, Delineation of putative mechanisms involved in antibody-mediated clearance of rabies virus from the central nervous system [published erratum appears in Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1992;89:9365]. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1992;89:7252-6. 630.
- Sherry B, Li XY, Tyler KL, Cullen JM, Virgin HW IV. Lymphocytes protect against and are not required for reovirus-induced myocarditis. J Virol. 1993;67:6119–24.
- Niklasson BS, Meadors GF, Peters CJ. Active and passive immunization against Rift Valley fever virus infection in Syrian hamsters. APMIS. 1984;92:197–200.
- MedImmune reports fourth set of clinical results evaluating MEDI-493 [press release]. Gaithersburg (MD): MedImmune; May 6, 1997.
- The PREVENT Study Group. Reduction of respiratory syncytial virus hospitalization among premature infants and infants with bronchopulmonary dysplasia using respiratory syncytial virus immune globulin prophylaxis. Pediatrics. 1997;99:93–9.
- Neumann-Haefelin D, Neumann-Haefelin C, Petersen EE, Luthardt T, Hass R. Passive immunization against rubella: studies on the effectiveness of rubella-immuno-globulin after intranasal infection with rubella vaccination virus. Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 1975;100:177–81.
- Brunell P, Ross A, Miller L. B K. Prevention of varicella by zoster immune globulin. N Engl J Med. 1969;280:1191–4.
- Danes L, Hruskova J. Efficiency testing of passive immunization against Venezuelan equine encephalomyelitis in mice. Acta Virol. 1969;13:554–6.
- Johnson RC, Kodner C, Russell M. Passive immunization of hamsters against experimental infection with the Lyme disease spirochete. Infect Immun. 1986;53:713–4.
- Sato Y, Sato H. Further characterization of Japanese acellular pertussis vaccine prepared in 1988 by 6 Japanese manufacturers. Tokai J Exp Clin Med. 1988;13:79–88.
- Kaukoranta-Tolvanen SE, Laurila AL, Saikku P, Leinonen M, Laitinen K. Experimental Chlamydia pneumoniae infection in mice: effect of reinfection and passive immunization. Microb Pathog. 1995;18:279–88.
- Cotter TW, Meng Q, Shen ZL, Zhang YX, Su H, Caldwell HD. Protective efficacy of major outer membrane protein-specific immunoglobulin A (IgA) and IgG monoclonal antibodies in a murine model of Chlamydia trachomatis genital tract infection. Infect Immun. 1995;63:4704–14.
- Raff HV, Bradley C, Brady W, Donaldson K, Lipsich L, Maloney G, Comparison of functional activities between IgG1 and IgM class-switched human monoclonal antibodies reactive with group B streptococci or Escherichia coli K1. J Infect Dis. 1991;163:346–54.
- Drabick J, Narayanan R, Williams J, LeDuc J, Nacy C. Passive protection of mice against lethal Francisella tularensis (live tularemia vaccine strain) infection by the sera of human recipients of the live tularemia vaccine. Am J Med Sci. 1994;308:83–7.
- Shigeoka AO, Pincus SH, Rote NS, Hill HR. Protective efficacy of hybridoma type-specific antibody against experimental infection with group-B Streptococcus. J Infect Dis. 1984;149:363–72.
- Schreiber JR, Barrus V, Cates KL, Siber GR. Functional characterization of human IgG, IgM, and IgA antibody directed to the capsule of Haemophilus influenzae type B. J Infect Dis. 1986;153:8–16.
- Hayatsu E, Kawakubo Y, Yayoshi M, Araake M, Wakai M, Yoshida A, Immunological responses of hamsters in the acquired immune state to Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection. Microbiol Immunol. 1981;25:1255–63.
- Brodeur BR, Larose Y, Tsang P, Hamel J, Ashton F, Ryan A. Protection against infection with Neisseria meningitidis group B serotype 2b by passive immunization with serotype-specific monoclonal antibody. Infect Immun. 1985;50:510–6.
- Harmon RC, Rutherford RL, Wu HM, Collins MS. Monoclonal antibody-mediated protection and neutralization of motility in experimental Proteus mirabilis infection. Infect Immun. 1989;57:1936–41.
- Fisher MW. A polyvalent human gamma-globulin immune to Pseudomonas aeruginosa: passive protection of mice against lethal infection. J Infect Dis. 1977;136:S181–5.
- Svenson SB, Nurminen M, Lindberg AA. Artificial Salmonella vaccines: O-antigenic oligosaccharide-protein conjugates induce protection against infection with Salmonella typhimurium. Infect Immun. 1979;25:863–72.
- Adamus G, Mulczyk M, Witkowska D, Romanowska E. Protection against keratoconjunctivitis shigellosa induced by immunization with outer membrane proteins of Shigella spp. Infect Immun. 1980;30:321–4.
- Scott DF, Best GK, Kling JM, Thompson MR, Adinolfi LE, Bonventre PF. Passive protection of rabbits infected with toxic shock syndrome-associated strains of Staphylococcus aureus by monoclonal antibody to toxic shock syndrome toxin 1. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 1989;11:S214-7; discussion S217-8.
- Swendsen CL, Johnson W. Humoral immunity to Streptococcus pneumoniae induced by a pneumococcal ribosomal protein fraction. Infect Immun. 1976;14:345–54.
- Azadegan AA, Schell RF, LeFrock JL. Immune serum confers protection against syphilitic infection on hamsters. Infect Immun. 1983;42:42–7.
- Motin V, Nakajima R, Smirnov G, Brubaker R. Passive immunity to Yersiniae mediated by anti-recombinant V antigen and protein A-V antigen fusion peptide. Infect Immun. 1994;62:4192–201.
- Friedlander AM, Welkos SL, Worsham PL, Andrews GP, Heath DG, Anderson GW Jr, Relationship between virulence and immunity as revealed in recent studies of the F1 capsule of Yersinia pestis. Clin Infect Dis. 1995;21:S178–81.
- Tavares D, Ferreira P, Vilanova M, Videira A, Arala-Chaves M. Immunoprotection against systemic candidiasis in mice. Int Immunol. 1995;7:785–96.
- Nussbaum G, Yuan R, Casadevall A, Scharff MD. Immunoglobulin G3 blocking antibodies to the fungal pathogen Cryptococcus neoformans. J Exp Med. 1996;183:1905–9.
- Diggs CL, Hines F, Wellde BT. Plasmodium falciparum: passive immunization of Aotus lemurinus griseimembra with immune serum. Exp Parasitol. 1995;80:291–6.
- Johnson AM, McDonald PJ, Neoh SH. Monoclonal antibodies to Toxoplasma cell membrane surface antigens protect mice from toxoplasmosis. J Protozool. 1983;30:351–6.
- Garrett L. The coming plague. New York: Penguin Books; 1995.
- Kraehenbuhl JP, Neutra MR. Molecular and cellular basis of immune protection of mucosal surfaces. Physiol Rev. 1992;72:853–79.
- Cone R. Mucus. In: Ogra PL, Mestecky J, Lamm ME, Strober W, McGhee JR, Bienenstock J, editors. Mucosal immunology. 2nd ed. New York: Academic Press; 1999.
- Lamm M. Interaction of antigens and antibodies at mucosal surfaces. Annu Rev Microbiol. 1997;51:311–40.
- Whaley KJ, Zeitlin L, Barratt RA, Hoen TE, Cone RA. Passive immunization of the vagina protects mice against vaginal transmission of genital herpes infections. J Infect Dis. 1994;169:647–9.
- Zeitlin L, Whaley KJ, Sanna PP, Moench TR, Bastidas R, De Logu A, Topically applied human recombinant monoclonal IgG1 antibody and its Fab and F(ab')2 fragments protect mice from vaginal transmission of HSV-2. Virology. 1996;225:213–5.
- Zeitlin L. Topical methods for preventing genital herpes infection in the mouse. Reproductive biology. [dissertation]. Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University; 1996.
- Jakeman K, Smith H, Sweet C. Mechanism of immunity to influenza: maternal and passive neonatal protection following immunization of adult ferrets with a live vaccinia-influenza virus hemagglutinin recombinant but not with recombinants containing other influenza virus proteins. J Gen Virol. 1989;70:1523–31.
- Tamura S, Funato H, Hirabayashi Y, Suzuki Y, Nagamine T, Aizawa C, Cross-protection against influenza A virus infection by passively transferred respiratory tract IgA antibodies to different hemagglutinin molecules. Eur J Immunol. 1991;21:1337–44.
- Davidson GP, Whyte PB, Daniels E, Franklin K, Nunan H, McCloud PI, Passive immunisation of children with bovine colostrum containing antibodies to human rotavirus [see comments]. Lancet. 1989;2:709–12.
- Ebina T. Prophylaxis of rotavirus gastroenteritis using immunoglobulin. Arch Virol Suppl. 1996;12:217–23.
- Weltzin R, Traina-Dorge V, Soike K, Zhang JY, Mack P, Soman G, Intranasal monoclonal IgA antibody to respiratory syncytial virus protects rhesus monkeys against upper and lower respiratory tract infection. J Infect Dis. 1996;174:256–61.
- Peterson EM, Cheng X, Motin VL, de la Maza LM. Effect of immunoglobulin G isotype on the infectivity of Chlamydia trachomatis in a mouse model of intravaginal infection. Infect Immun. 1997;65:2693–9.
- Lyerly DM, Bostwick EF, Binion SB, Wilkins TD. Passive immunization of hamsters against disease caused by Clostridium difficile by use of bovine immunoglobulin G concentrate. Infect Immun. 1991;59:2215–8.
- Tacket CO, Losonsky G, Link H, Hoang Y, Guesry P, Hilpert H, Protection by milk immunoglobulin concentrate against oral challenge with enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli. N Engl J Med. 1988;318:1240–3.
- Booth V, Ashley F, Lehner T. Passive immunization with monoclonal antibodies against Porphyromonas gingivalis in patients with periodontitis. Infect Immun. 1996;64:422–7.
- Tacket C, Binion S, Bostwick E, Losonsky G, Roy M, Edelman R. Efficacy of bovine milk immunoglobulin concentrate in preventing illness after Shigella flexneri challenge. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1992;47:276–83.
- Ramisse F, Szatanik M, Binder P, Alonso J-M. Passive local immunotherapy of experimental staphylococcal pneumonia with human intravenous immunoglobulin. J Infect Dis. 1993;168:1030–3.
- Ma JK, Hunjan M, Smith R, Kelly C, Lehner T. An investigation into the mechanism of protection by local passive immunization with monoclonal antibodies against Streptococcus mutans. Infect Immun. 1990;58:3407–14.
- Apter FM, Michetti P, Winner LSD, Mack JA, Mekalanos JJ, Neutra MR. Analysis of the roles of antilipopolysaccharide and anti-cholera toxin immunoglobulin A (IgA) antibodies in protection against Vibrio cholerae and cholera toxin by use of monoclonal IgA antibodies in vivo. Infect Immun. 1993;61:5279–85.
- Cassone A, Boccanera M, Adriani D, Santoni G, De Bernardis F. Rats clearing a vaginal infection by Candida albicans acquire specific, antibody-mediated resistance to vaginal reinfection. Infect Immun. 1995;63:2619–24.
- Perryman LE, Riggs MW, Mason PH, Fayer R. Kinetics of Crytosporidium parvum sporozoite neutralization by monoclonal antibodies, immune bovine serum, and immune bovine colostrum. Infect Immun. 1990;58:257–9.
- Ma JK, Hein MB. Immunotherapeutic potential of antibodies produced in plants. Trends Biotechnol. 1995;13:522–7.
- Chintalacharuvu KR, Morrison SL. Production of secretory immunoglobulin A by a single mammalian cell. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:6364–8.
- Kilian M, Russel M. Function of mucosal immunoglobulins. In: Ogra P, Mestecky J, Lamm M, Strober W, McGhee J, Bienenstock J, editors. Handbook of mucosal immunology. San Diego: Academic Press; 1994. p. 127-37.
- Kraehenbuhl JP, Neutra MR. Molecular and cellular basis of immune protection of mucosal surfaces. Physiol Rev. 1992;72:853–79.
- Winter G, Griffiths A, Hawkins R, Hoogenboom H. Making antibodies by phage display technology. Annu Rev Immunol. 1994;12:433–55.
- Burton D, Barbas C. Human antibodies from combinatorial libraries. Adv Immunol. 1994;57:191–280.
- Williamson R, Burioni R, Sanna P, Partridge L, Barbas C, Burton D. Human monoclonal antibodies against a plethora of viral pathogens from single combinatorial libraries. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:4141–5.
- Vaughan T, Williams A, Pritchard K, Osbourn J, Pope A, Earnshaw J, Human antibodies with sub-nanomolar affinities isolated from a large non-immunized phage display library. Nat Biotechnol. 1996;14:309–14.
- Green LL, Hardy MC, Maynard-Currie CE, Tsuda H, Louie DM, Mendez MJ, Antigen-specific human monoclonal antibodies from mice engineered with human Ig heavy and light chain YACs. Nat Genet. 1994;7:13–21.
- Mendez MJ, Green LL, Corvalan JR, Jia XC, Maynard-Currie CE, Yang XD, Functional transplant of megabase human immunoglobulin loci recapitulates human antibody response in mice. Nat Genet. 1997;15:146–56.
- Sherman-Gold R. Monoclonal antibodies: the evolution from '80s magic bullets to mature, mainstream applications as clinical therapeutics. Genetic Engineering News 1997:17.
- Vaughan TJ, Osbourn JK, Tempest PR. Human antibodies by design. Nat Biotechnol. 1998;16:535–9.
- Barbas C, Hu D, Dunlop N, Sawyer L, Cababa D, Hendry R, In vitro evolution of a neutralizing human antibody to human immunodeficiency virus type 1 to enhance affinity and broaden strain cross-reactivity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:3809–13.
- Barbas CF, Burton DR. Selection and evolution of high-affinity human anti-viral antibodies. Trends Biotechnol. 1996;14:230–4.
- Crothers D, Metzger H. The influence of polyvalency on the binding properties of antibodies. Immunochemistry. 1972;9:341–57.
- Sherwood JK, Zeitlin L, Chen X, Whaley KJ, Cone RA, Saltzman WM. Residence half-life of IgG administered topically to the mouse vagina. Biol Reprod. 1996;54:264–9.
- Glassy M. Production: the rate-limiting step in obtaining human monoclonal antibody pharmaceuticals. In: Monoclonal antibody production. La Jolla (CA): International Business Communications; 1996.
- DeYoung G. Monoclonal Ab processors/manufacturers stress costs and productivity. Genetic Engineering News 1996:8.
- Hiatt A, Caffertey R, Bowdish K. Production of antibodies in transgenic plants. Nature. 1989;342:76–8.
- Genzyme transgenic manufactures monoclonal antibody in goats' milk [press release]. Cambridge (MA): Genzyme; May, 1995.
- Hiatt A. Antibodies produced in plants. Nature. 1990;344:469–70.
- Seaver S. Monoclonal antibodies: using new techniques to reduce development time. Genetic Engineering News 1997:13.
- Food and Drug Administration. International conference on harmonisation; guidance on preclinical safety evaluation of biotechnology-derived pharmaceuticals; availablity. Fed Regist. 1997;62:61515–9.
- OraVax Reports Results from Phase III Trial of HNK20 Nosedrop for Respiratory Syncytial Virus in Infants [press release]. Cambridge (MA): OraVax; March 19, 1997.
- Ma J, Smith R, Lehner T. Use of monoclonal antibodies in local passive immunization to prevent colonization of human teeth by Streptococcus mutans. Infect Immun. 1987;55:1274–8.
- Beck L, Boots L, Stevens V. Absorption of antibodies from the baboon vagina. Biol Reprod. 1975;13:10–6.
- Corthesy B, Kaufmann M, Phalipon A, Peitsch M, Neutra M, Kraehenbuhl J-P. A pathogen-specific epitope inserted into recombinant secretory immunoglobulin A is immunogenic by the oral route. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:33670–7.
- Tsume Y, Taki Y, Sakane T, Nadai T, Sezaki H, Watabe K, Quantitative evaluation of the gastrointestinal absorption of protein into the blood and lymph circulation. Biol Pharm Bull. 1996;19:1332–7.
- Kuo PY, Sherwood JK, Saltzman WM. Topical antibody delivery systems produce sustained levels in mucosal tissue and blood. Nat Biotechnol. 1998;16:163–7.
- Points to consider in the manufacture and testing of monoclonal antibody products for human use. Washington: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration; 1997.
- Ma JK, Hein MB. Plant antibodies for immunotherapy. Plant Physiol. 1995;109:341–6.
- Ma JK, Hikmat BY, Wycoff K, Vine ND, Chargelegue D, Yu L, Characterization of a recombinant plant monoclonal secretory antibody and preventive immunotherapy in humans. Nat Med. 1998;4:601–6.
- Mo H, Stamatatos L, Ip J, Barbas C, Parren P, Burton D, Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 mutants that escape neutralization by human monoclonal antibody IgG1b12. J Virol. 1997;71:6869–74.
- Babcook JS, Leslie KB, Olsen OA, Salmon RA, Schrader JW. A novel strategy for generating monoclonal antibodies from single, isolated lymphocytes producing antibodies of defined specificities. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:7843–8.
- Murray C, Lopez A. Global and regional cause-of-death patterns in 1990. In: Murray C, Lopez A, editors. Global comparative assessments in the health sector. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1994. p. 21-54.
- Eng T, Butler W. The hidden epidemic. Institute of Medicine. Washington: National Academy Press; 1997.
- Bogstedt A, Johansen K, Hatta H, Kim M, Casswall T, Svensson L, Passive immunity against diarrhoea. Acta Paediatr. 1996;85:125–8.
- Eibl M, Wolf H, Furnkranz H, Rosenkranz A. Prevention of necrotizing enterocolitis in low-birth-weight infants by IgA-IgA feeding. N Engl J Med. 1988;319:1–7.
- Petschow B, Talbott R. Reduction in virus-neutralizing activity of a bovine colostrum immunoglobulin concentrate by gastric acid and digestive enzymes. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1994;19:228–35.
- Ogra P, Fishaut M. Human breast milk. In: Remington J, Klein J, editors. Infectious diseases of the fetus and newborn infant. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company; 1990. p. 68-84.
- Prince G, Hemming V, Horswood R, Baron P, Chanock R. Effectiveness of topically administered neutralizing antibodies in experimental immunotherapy of respiratory syncytial virus infection in cotton rats. J Virol. 1987;61:1851–4.
- Radomsky ML, Whaley KJ, Cone RA, Saltzman WM. Controlled vaginal delivery of antibodies in the mouse. Biol Reprod. 1992;47:133–40.
- Sherwood J, Zeitlin L, Whaley K, Cone R, Saltzman W. Controlled release of antibodies for long-term topical passive immunoprotection of female mice against genital herpes. Nat Biotechnol. 1996;14:468–71.
- Tjokronegoro A, Sirisinha S. Degradation of immunoglobulins by secretions of human reproductive tracts. J Reprod Fertil. 1974;38:221–4.
- O'Hara M. Ophthalmia neonatorum. Pediatr Clin North Am. 1993;40:715–25.
- Singh M, Sugathan PS, Bhujwala RA. Human colostrum for prophylaxis against sticky eyes and conjunctivitis in the newborn. J Trop Pediatr. 1982;28:35–7.