Volume 7, Number 2—April 2001
4th Decennial International Conference on Nosocomial and Healthcare-Associated Infections
State of the Art
Engineering out the Risk of Infection with Urinary Catheters
|Organisms causing CAUTIa|
|Mechanism of CAUTI
aPercentages refer to organisms in which the mechanism of infection could be determined. For comparison of gram-positive cocci and yeasts vs. gram-negative bacilli, p = 0.007.
CAUTI = catheter-associated urinary tract infection.
- Stamm WE. Catheter-associated urinary tract infections: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, and prevention. Am J Med. 1991;91(Suppl 3B):65S–71S. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Burke JP, Riley DK. Nosocomial urinary tract infection. In: Mayhall CG, editor. Hospital epidemiology and infection control. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins; 1996. p. 139-53.
- Warren JW. Catheter-associated urinary tract infections. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 1997;11:609–22. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kunin CM. Care of the urinary catheter. In: Urinary tract infections: detection, prevention and management. Fifth ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins; 1997. p. 227-99.
- Kunin CM, McCormack RC. Prevention of catheter-induced urinary-tract infections by sterile closed drainage. N Engl J Med. 1966;274:1155–61. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Garibaldi RA, Mooney BR, Epstein BJ, Britt MR. An evaluation of daily bacteriologic monitoring to identify preventable episodes of catheter associated UTI. Infect Control. 1982;3:466–70.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stark RP, Maki DG. Bacteriuria in the catheterized patient. N Engl J Med. 1984;311:560–4. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maki DG. Nosocomial bacteremia. An epidemiologic overview. Am J Med. 1981;70:719–32. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Krieger JN, Kaiser DIL, Wenzel RP. Urinary tract etiology of bloodstream infections in hospitalized patients. J Infect Dis. 1983;148:57–62. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bryan CS, Reynolds KL. Hospital-acquired bacteremic urinary tract infection: epidemiology and outcome. J Urol. 1984;132:494–8.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Platt R, Polk BF, Murdock B, Rosner B. Mortality associated with nosocomial urinary-tract infection. N Engl J Med. 1982;307:637–41. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kunin CM, Douthitt S, Dancing J, Anderson J, Moeschberger M. The association between the use of urinary catheters and morbidity and mortality among elderly patients in nursing homes. Am J Epidemiol. 1992;135:291–301.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tambyah PA, Maki DG. Catheter-associated urinary tract infection is rarely symptomatic: a prospective study of 1497 catheterized patients. Arch Intern Med. 2000;160:678–82. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Patton JP, Nash DB, Abrutyn E. Urinary tract infection: economic considerations. Med Clin North Am. 1991;75:495–513.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Jarvis WR, Martone WJ. Predominant pathogens in hospital infections. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1992;29:19–24.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tambyah PA, Halvorson K, Maki DG. A prospective study of the pathogenesis of catheter-associated urinary tract infection. Mayo Clin Proc. 1999;74:131–6. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Daifuku R, Stamm WE. Association of rectal and urethral colonization with urinary tract infection in patients with indwelling catheters. JAMA. 1984;252:2028–30. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Garibaldi RA, Burke JP, Britt MR, Miller MA, Smith CB. Metal colonization and catheter-associated bacteriuria. N Engl J Med. 1980;303:316–8. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nickel JC, Costerton JW, McLean RJ, Olson M. Bacterial biofilms: influence on the pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment of urinary tract infections. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1994;33(Suppl A):31–41.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maki DG, Knasinski V, Halvorson KT, Tambyah PA, Holcomb RG. A prospective, randomized, investigator-blinded trial of a novel nitrofurazone-impregnated urinary catheter [abstract M49]. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997;18(Suppl):50.
- Darouiche RO, Smith A, Hanna H, Dhabuwala CB, Steiner MS, Babaian RJ, Efficacy of antimicrobial-impregnated bladder catheters in reducing catheter-associated bacteriuria: a prospective, randomized multicenter clinical trial. Urology. 1999;54:976–81. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lundeberg T. Prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections by use of silver-impregnated catheters [letter]. Lancet. 1986;1:1031. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Liedberg H, Lundeberg T. Silver alloy coated catheters reduce catheter-associated bacteriuria. Br J Urol. 1990;65:379–81. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Liedberg H, Lundeberg T, Ekman P. Refinements in the coating of urethral catheters reduce the incidence of catheter-associated bacteriuria. An experimental and clinical study. Eur Urol. 1990;17:236–40.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Liedberg H, Lundeberg T. Prospective study of incidence of urinary tract infection in patients catheterized with bard hydrogel and silver-coated catheters or bard hydrogel-coated catheters [abstract 405A]. J Urol. 1993; 149.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maki DG, Knasinski V, Halvorson K, Tambyah PA. A novel silver-hydrogelimpregnated indwelling catheter reduces CAUTIs: a prospective double-blind trial [abstract]. In: Programs and abstracts of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology in America Annual Meeting; April 5-7, 1998; Orlando, Florida.
- Maki DG, Knasinski V, Tambyah PA. Risk factors for catheter-associated urinary tract infection: a prospective study showing the minimal effects of catheter care violations on the risk of CAUTI [abstract]. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000;21:165.
- Platt R, Polk BF, Murdock B, Rosner B. Risk factors for nosocomial urinary tract infection. Am J Epidemiol. 1986;124:977–85.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Johnson JR, Roberts PL, Olsen RJ, Moyer KA, Stamm WE. Prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infection with a silver oxide-coated urinary catheter: Clinical and microbiologic correlates. J Infect Dis. 1990;162:1145–50. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Riley DK, Classen DC, Stevens LE, Burke JP. A large randomized clinical trial of a silver-impregnated urinary catheter: Lack of efficacy and staphylococcal superinfection. Am J Med. 1995;98:349–56. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rabkin DG, Stifelman MD, Birkhoff J, Richardson KA, Cohen D, Nowygrod R, Early catheter removal decreases incidence of urinary tract infections in renal transplant recipients. Transplant Proc. 1998;30:4314–6. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Shapiro J, Hoffmann J, Jersky J. A comparison of suprapubic and transurethral drainage for postoperative urinary retention in general surgical patients. Acta Chir Scand. 1982;148:323–7.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Warren JW. Urethral catheters, condom catheters, and nosocomial urinary tract infections. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1996;17:212–4. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maki DG, Hennekens C, Bennet J. Prevention of catheter-associated urinary ract infection. JAMA. 1972;221:1270–1. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- van der Wall E, Verkooyen RP, Mintjes-de-Groot J, Oostinga J, Van Dijk A, Hustius WN, Prophylactic ciprofloxacin for catheter-associated urinary tract infection. Lancet. 1992;339:946–51. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maki DG. Risk factors for nosocomial infection in intensive care. "Devices vs nature" and goals for the next decade. Arch Intern Med. 1989;149:30–5. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Warren JW, Platt R, Thomas RJ, Rosner B, Kass EH. Antibiotic irrigation and catheter-associated urinary tract infections. N Engl J Med. 1978;299:570–3. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Platt R, Polk BF, Murdock B, Rosner B. Reduction of mortality associated with nosocomial urinary tract infection. Lancet. 1983;1:893–6. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Huth TS, Burke JP, Larsen RA, Classen DC, Stevens LE. Clinical trial of junction seals for the prevention of urinary catheter-associated bacteriuria. Arch Intern Med. 1992;152:807–12. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Classen DC, Larsen RA, Burke JP, Stevens LE. Prevention of catheter-associated bacteriuria: clinical trial of methods to block three known pathways of infection. Am J Infect Control. 1990;19:136–42. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gabriel MM, Sawant AD, Simmons RB, Hearn DG. Effects of silver on adherence of bacteria to urinary catheters: in vitro studies. Curr Microbiol. 1995;30:1722. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Saint S, Elmore JG, Sullivan SD, Emerson SS, Koepsell TD. The efficacy of silver alloy-coated urinary catheters in preventing urinary tract infection: a meta-analysis. Am J Med. 1998;105:236–4. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maki DG, Stolz SM, Wheeler S, Mermel LA. Prevention of central venous catheterrelated bloodstream infection by use of an antiseptic-impregnated catheter. Ann Intern Med. 1997;127:257–66.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nissenkorn I. The intraurethral catheter-three years of experience. Eur Urol. 1993;24:27–30.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Johnson DE, O'Reilly JL, Warren JW. Clinical evaluation of an external urine collection device for nonambul