Volume 17, Number 3—March 2011
Nontuberculous Mycobacteria in Respiratory Tract Infections, Eastern Asia
- Griffith DE, Aksamit T, Brown-Elliot BA, Catanzaro A, Daley C, Gordin F, An official ATS/IDSA statement: diagnosis, treatment and prevention of nontuberculous mycobacterial diseases. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007;175:367–416.
- van Ingen J, Bendien SA, de Lange WC, Hoefsloot W, Dekhuijzen PN, Boeree MJ, Clinical relevance of non-tuberculous mycobacteria isolated in the Nijmegen-Arnhem region, the Netherlands. Thorax. 2009;64:502–6.
- Marras TK, Daley C. Epidemiology of human pulmonary infection with nontuberculous mycobacteria. Clin Chest Med. 2002;23:553–67.
- Tsukamura M, Shimoide H, Kita N, Kawakami K, Ito T, Nakajima N, Epidemiologic studies of lung disease due to mycobacteria other than Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Japan. Rev Infect Dis. 1981;3:997–1007.
- Weimin L, Guanglu J, Zhihui L, Huakan H, Liquan C, Miao T, Non-tuberculous mycobacteria in China. Scand J Infect Dis. 2007;39:138–41.
- Hosker HSR, Lam CW, Ng TK, Ma HK, Chan SL. The prevalence and clinical significance of pulmonary infection due to non-tuberculous mycobacteria in Hong Kong. Respir Med. 1995;89:3–8.
- Agarwal SK, Jamil Z, Srivasta VK, Rathi AK, Mehrotra L. A clinico-bacteriological assessment of pulmonary tuberculosis patients with reference to drug resistance pattern in treated and untreated cases. Indian J Med Sci. 1980;34:39–46.
- Choudri DS, Dube MK, Purohit SD, Dube S. The prevalence of anonymous mycobacteria in both resistant as well as fresh cases of pulmonary tuberculosis in the local population of south east Rajasthan. [PMID: 114478]. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 1979;22:165–75.
- Jesudason MV, Gladstone P. Non tuberculous mycobacteria isolated from clinical specimens at a tertiary care hospital in south India. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2005;23:172–5.
- Karak K, Bhattacharyya S, Majumdar S, De PK. Pulmonary infection caused by mycobacteria other than M. tuberculosis in and around Calcutta. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 1996;39:131–4.
- Paramasivan CN, Govindan D, Prabhakar R, Somasundaram PR, Subbammal S, Tripathy SP. Species level identification of non-tuberculous mycobacteria from south Indian BCG trial area during 1981. Tubercle. 1985;66:9–15.
- Ramakrishnan CV. Pulmonary disease due to atypical mycobacteria: a retrospective study from south India. Rev Infect Dis. 1981;3:1090–2.
- Shanker SVR, Jain NK, Chandrasekhar S, Singh MM. Prevalence of atypical mycobacteria in sputum of patients undergoing treatment at a tuberculosis clinic. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 1989;31:9–13.
- Kobashi Y, Matsushima T. Comparison of clinical features in patients with pulmonary Mycobacterium-avium complex (MAC) disease treated before and after proposal for guidelines. J Infect Chemother. 2004;10:25–30.
- Kobashi Y, Matsushima T. The microbiological and clinical effects of combined therapy according to guidelines on the treatment of pulmonary Mycobacterium avium complex disease in Japan—including a follow-up study. Respiration. 2007;74:394–400.
- Okumura M, Iwai K, Ogata H, Ueyama M, Kubota M, Aoki M, Clinical factors on cavitary and nodular bronchiectatic types in pulmonary Mycobacterium avium complex disease. Intern Med. 2008;47:1465–72.
- Saito H, Watanabe T, Akamatsu S, Yamamoto Y, Irikura T, Kubonishi K, Incidence of atypical mycobacteria and pulmonary mycobacterioses in national sanatoria in the Chugoku-Shikoku area. Hiroshima J Med Sci. 1979;28:161–5.
- Rapid increase of the incidence of lung disease due to Mycobacterium kansasii in Japan. Chest. 1983;83:890–2.
- Tsukamura M, Kita N, Shimoide H, Arakawa H, Kuze A. Studies on the epidemiology of nontuberculous mycobacteriosis in Japan. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1988;137:1280–4.
- Yamamoto M. Pulmonary disease due to Mycobacterium szulgai in Japan. Intern Med. 2000;39:277–9.
- Koh WJ, Kwon OJ, Jeon K, Kim TS, Lee KS, Park YK, Clinical significance of nontuberculous mycobacteria isolated from respiratory specimens in Korea. Chest. 2006;129:341–8.
- Ryoo SW, Shin S, Shim MS, Park YS, Lew WJ, Park SN, Spread of nontuberculous mycobacteria from 1992 to 2006 in Koreans. J Clin Lab Anal. 2008;22:415–20.
- Yim JJ, Park YK, Lew WJ, Bai GH, Han SK, Shim YS. Mycobacterium kansasii pulmonary disease in Korea. J Korean Med Sci. 2005;20:957–60.
- Yim JJ, Kim HJ, Kwon OJ, Koh WJ. Association between microsatellite polymorphisms in intron II of the human Toll-like receptor 2 gene and nontuberculous mycobacterial lung disease in a Korean population. Hum Immunol. 2008;69:572–6.
- Teo SK, Lo KL. Nontuberculous mycobacterial disease of the lungs in Singapore. Singapore Med J. 1992;33:464–6.
- Chien HP, Yu MC. WU MH, Lin TP, Luh KT. Comparison of the BACTEC MGIT 960 with Löwenstein-Jensen medium for recovery of mycobacteria from clinical specimens. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2000;4:866–70.
- Ding LW, Lai CC, Lee LN, Hsueh PR. Disease caused by non-tuberculous mycobacteria in a university hospital in Taiwan, 1997–2003. Epidemiol Infect. 2006;134:1060–7.
- Shih JY, Hsueh PR, Lee LN, Wang HC, Yang PC, Kuo SH, Nontuberculous mycobacteria isolates: clinical significance and disease spectrum. J Formos Med Assoc. 1997;96:621–7.
- Shu CC, Lee CH, Wang JY, Jerng JS, Yu CJ, Hsueh PR, Nontuberculous mycobacteria pulmonary infection in medical intensive care unit: the incidence, patient characteristics, and clinical significance. Intensive Care Med. 2008;34:2194–201.
- Ratanasuwan W, Techasathit W, Chuenarom V, Suwanagool S, Anekthananont T, Jearanaisilavong J, Infection due to nontuberculous Mycobacterium other than MAC in AIDS patients at Siriraj Hospital during 1998–2000: saphophyte vs pathogen. J Med Assoc Thai. 2002;85:886–93.
- Saritsiri S, Udomsantisook N, Suankratay C. Nontuberculous infections in King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital. J Med Assoc Thai. 2006;89:2035–46.
- Sriyabhaya N, Wongwatana S. Pulmonary infection caused by atypical mycobacteria: a report of 24 cases in Thailand. Rev Infect Dis. 1981;3:1085–9.
- Wongwatana S, Sriyabhaya N. Nontuberculous mycobacterial infection of the lung in a chest hospital in Thailand. J Med Assoc Thai. 1992;75:1–10.
- van Ingen J, Boeree MJ, Kösters K, Wieland A, Tortoli E, Dekhuijzen PN, Proposal to elevate Mycobacterium avium complex ITS sequevar MAC-Q to Mycobacterium vulneris sp. nov. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2009;59:2277–82.
- Ben Salah I, Cayrou C, Raoult D, Drancourt M. Mycobacterium marseillense sp. nov., Mycobacterium timonense sp. nov., and Mycobacterium bouchedurhonense sp. nov., members of the Mycobacterium avium complex. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2009;59:2803–8.
- O’Brien RJ, Geiter LJ, Snider D. The epidemiology of nontuberculous mycobacterial diseased in the United States. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1987;135:1007–14.
- Trnka L, Dankova D, Svandova E. Six years’ experience with the discontinuation of BCG vaccination: 4. Protective effect of BCG vaccination against the Mycobacterium avium intracellulare complex. [ PMID: 7841428]. Tuber Lung Dis. 1994;75:348–52.
- Buijtels PC, Petit PL. Comparison of NaOH-n-acetyl cysteine and sulfuric acid decontamination methods for recovery of mycobacteria from clinical specimens. J Microbiol Methods. 2005;62:83–8.
- Adékambi T, Colson P, Drancourt M. rpoB-based identification of nonpigmented and late-pigmenting rapidly growing mycobacteria. J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41:5699–708.
- Tortoli E. Impact of genotypic studies on mycobacterial taxonomy: the new mycobacteria of the 1990s. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2003;16:319–54.
Page created: July 25, 2011
Page updated: July 25, 2011
Page reviewed: July 25, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.